My husband loves to remind me when we are out shopping, “I see that look in your eyes”. I have to admit, I do get this sparkle in my eyes over shoes, purses, and cute close. All the shiny trinkets in the boutique windows. Just on our recent vacation I was totally drawn to this little shop:
When I fix my eyes on the bling and glitter, I have to stop and ask myself: “What are these things going to do for me today?” “Will these shoes bring me peace?” or “Can that outfit bring me true Joy?” “By carrying that purse will all my trials and tribulations go away?” (I apologize to the men reading, is your “bling” Golf clubs? Cars? Motorcycles? I do know some very styling men who love to shop and I know some gals who love motorcycles and cars.)
Being very honest with myself, I have to say “no” to all of those questions. None of the dazzling, glittery, eye-catching stuff can bring us what we really need every day, the love, grace, peace, forgiveness, and healing from our loving Jesus. They are all perishable.
So in a world where television and social media bombard us with the latest and greatest with what “society” says we need, how do we keep our eyes fixed on God, who brings us eternal life?
I have three ideas for us today.
- Fix our eyes on our blessings and be grateful for the life God has given us. God leaves his blessings all around us. When we focus on our blessings we don’t have time to fix our eyes on all the flashy material items we believe we need to be happy or to fill the empty hole inside our soul. Here are just a few ways we are blessed by our Heavenly Father.
- Psalm 34:88: Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in Him.
- Psalm 23:1-2: The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters.
- Matthew 5:6: Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
We are blessed beyond all measure my friend. Take some time this week to look up more verses on God’s blessings. I am for sure.
2. Pray Continually.
- Ephesians 6:18 : And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people
- James 5:13 : Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise
- Psalm 145:18 The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth
3. Wait obediently for God.
Let’s take a quick look at what 2 Peter 3:8-9 reveals to us about God and waiting.
8. But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.
You see friend, we can stay focused on God as we wait patiently for Him as he waits so patiently for us everyday to come to him. On those days He seems far away, he’s not. He is waiting on us. During the seasons where nothing could go wrong and everything appears to be going our way, He is waiting for us. When we have walked away because our path is better, He waits for us.
So during the times we get impatient, anxious, troubled, jealous, neglected, overlooked, rejected and wonder why God didn’t make it right, we need to be obedient and wait for Him. For God’s perfect timing. Because, beloved, it is always God’s timing not ours
Also on these days I find that I really need an attitude adjustment. I need to stop focusing on what is wrong in my life and and fix my eyes on the Giver of all the gifts and blessings. Then and only then will I find true Joy.
Father we come to your Throne today and ask for your forgiveness as we so often get caught up in worldly sparkle and bling that we think we need Lord, when all we need is You. You Lord, You are enough. Father help us to see your eternal light that shines when we keep our gaze fixed on You. In your son’s precious name I pray, Amen.