Have you ever had one of those days where you just felt lethargic, sick, irritable, and maybe even a little dizzy? These are all symptoms of dehydration. Our bodies can get dehydrated without us even knowing it, even if you are like me, a person who isn’t exercising like I once was or physically active, but just overall busy with work, family, and other activities we volunteer our time and talents. Drinking plenty of water daily is crucial to keeping our bodies going and healthy, but when we get busy it’s easy to forget and neglect.
My body has also encounter these same manifestations when I have been getting the recommended eight-8 ounce glasses of water (varies by website but most agree this is a good amount to stay hydrated). How can this be?
As our verse today tells us that Jesus told the crowd, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink.” (John 7:37 Our bodies get spiritually dehydrated craving the living water that is God’s word.
I don’t know about you precious friend, but I hate feeling crummy. For me, I have to dive in the living water daily to stay spiritually fit. My body is then hydrated with the Holy Spirit living in me, bringing me hope, gratitude, and joy.
Let’s get a little drink of Living Water.
- Hope: I find hope when I read about the trials of characters like Job, Ruth, and Paul to name just a few. Each one sacrificed knowing their beloved Lord was there with them and was guiding them in His light. Here are a few verses of hope to hydrate us when we are needing a new perspective.
- Job 19:25 “For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last He will stand upon the Earth”
- Ruth 4:14 “The women said to Naomi: “Praise be to the Lord, who this day has not left you without a guardian-redeemer. May he become famous throughout Israel!”
- Romans 5:1-2 “therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we[ have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.”
2. Gratitude: Reading scripture daily allows me to see how truly blessed I am. “This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it”, says Psalm 118:24. Each day we have on Earth is a blessing all of its own. I am guilty of getting caught up in my world of work, family, just life, that I get spiritually drained in the area of gratitude and forget to just be in each moment of each day.
Read these scriptures on gratitude, blessings, and thankfulness. Let me know in the comments how they make you feel. I’ll give you my answer at the end.
- “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.” James 1:17
- “And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.” Colossians 3:15
- “Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe” Hebrew 12:28
Finally, today, I want to write about Joy. Not just happy joy you feel when Five O’ Clock rolls around and a hard day of work comes to an end or happy like “Happy Birthday” joy. I am talking about “Fruit of the Spirit Joy” The joy we receive from knowing , “Lord, you have examined me and know all about me.” (Psalm 139:1 ) kind of Joy.
It’s a feeling like no other. Knowing that God knows everything thought, every hair on my head (and that’s a lot some days, the higher the hair the closer to Heaven, just saying!) There is nowhere to run or hide from our Father in Heaven. He is with us everyday, all day. Sunny, rainy, times of excitement and times of distress.
Knowing God is my constant in an always changing world brings me a Joy, that could only be second to Love.
God broke my chains of sickness and addiction from alcohol nearly eight years ago. I was past spiritually dehydrated friend. As I write this I am overjoyed with tears of hope, thankfulness, and joy. For me, I am filled with praise to my Father for His always present mercy and beautiful grace. I was lost and now I am found and filled with His love and light. I do not take it for granted, I am, oh so in awe, and counting every blessing, because He is more than good, He is amazing grace. Living water for our thirsty souls.